On April 14 at 11:00 Moscow time (GMT+3), an expert discussion will be held between the Valdai Club and the India-based Observer Research Foundation (ORF) on the topic: “Conflict in Europe: Should Asia Be Able to Stay Away?”
The military-diplomatic conflict between Russia and the West, with the Ukrainian crisis at its epicentre, is, from the point of view of its participants, the main determining factor not only in regional, but also in global development. A similar point of view is shared by China, which considers the US and its allies to be the main source of problems in Europe as well as a threat to international security.
Other countries in Asia, with rare exceptions, have maintained a reserved and neutral position regarding what is happening in Eastern Europe. India is the most prominent of these states in terms of population, the size of its economy, and military capabilities; it is also connected by trade, economic ties and political relations with both Russia and the West.
For most Asian states, the events in Europe represent an obstacle to the further development and integration of the world economy, rather than a sign of its restructuring on new foundations. The purpose of the expert discussion is to compare the views of Russian and Indian experts on the nature and context of developments in Europe, to determine the origin of the most important foreign policy priorities of the parties with respect to the crisis, and to find out possible ways for developing a dialogue.
What is the nature and context of the crisis in Europe? What is the Indian approach to the military-political dynamics between Russia and NATO? How does the crisis in Europe affect Russian-Chinese relations? What is the potential of the dialogue between Russia and India on issues of regional and global security? Participants in the expert dialogue will address these and other questions.
- Antara Ghosal Singh, Fellow at the Strategic Studies Programme at Observer Research Foundation, New Delhi
- Nandan Unnikrishnan, ORF Distinguished Fellow
- Nivedita Kapoor, Research Fellow, Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs, National Research University Higher School of Economics
- Alexei Kupriyanov, Head of the Group on South Asia and Indian Ocean of the Center for Asia Pacific Studies, Institute of World Economy and International Relations of the Russian Academy of Sciences (IMEMO)
- Ivan Safranchuk, Director, Leading Research Fellow, Center for Eurasian Studies
- Vasily Kashin, Director of the Center for Comprehensive European and International Studies, National Research University Higher School of Economics
- Kabir Taneja, Fellow with Strategic Studies Programme at Observer Research Foundation, New Delhi
Working languages: Russian, English.
Information for the media: In order to get accredited for the event, please fill out the form on our website or call +79269307763.