The end of US hegemony and the rise of a multipolar world has led to significant changes in the international system, with countries in the Middle East and North Africa, including Algeria, playing a crucial role in shaping the future. Algeria’s strong ties to Russia are helping to counterbalance US dominance and promote a more stable and equitable world order, where multiple actors have the ability to shape global events and influence the future, writes Algerian political journalist Akram Kharief. This article was prepared for the 12th Middle East conference of the Valdai Discussion Club.
The end of US hegemony marks a significant turning point in the world’s geopolitical landscape, as it signals the end of a unipolar system dominated by a single superpower. This change has led to the rise of a multipolar world, where multiple countries wield significant political, economic and military influence. In this new world order, countries in the Middle East and North Africa, including Algeria, are playing a crucial role in shaping the future of international relations.
The decline of US dominance has been marked by several factors, including economic and military exhaustion caused by the endless wars in the Middle East and the growing economic might of countries such as China and Russia. This shift has created a new world where multiple actors have the ability to shape global events and challenge the status quo. In this context, countries in the Middle East and North Africa are increasingly seen as important players, due to their vast oil and gas reserves, strategic location, and large populations.
Algeria is one of the key countries in the region that is assuming a growing role in international relations. The country’s strong ties with Russia, in particular, are helping to shape the future of the region and the world. Russia and Algeria have a long history of economic and military cooperation, dating back to the Soviet era. In recent years, this relationship has been reinforced by a shared interest in countering US dominance and promoting a multipolar world.
Algeria’s role in this relationship is significant, as it provides Russia with access to important resources and markets in the region. This, in turn, gives Russia a strong foothold in the MENA region, which is a key strategic area for its global interests. The relationship between Algeria and Russia also helps to counterbalance US influence in the region and promote stability, by providing alternative sources of investment, technology and military support. The future of this relationship is expected to continue to be important and influential in the coming years, and its significance will only grow as the world becomes increasingly multipolar.
The future of the Russian-Algerian relationship is likely to be shaped by several key factors, including their shared interests in countering US dominance, promoting stability in the Middle East and North Africa, and expanding their economic cooperation. Russia and Algeria have a shared interest in countering the influence of the United States, which has been the dominant superpower for many decades. This shared interest has been one of the key drivers of the relationship between the two countries, and it is likely to continue to play an important role in the future.
Another factor that is likely to shape the future of the Russian-Algerian relationship is their mutual interest in promoting stability in the Middle East and North Africa. The region is characterized by ongoing conflict and instability, and both Russia and Algeria recognize the importance of promoting stability and peace in the area. By working together, the two countries can help to counterbalance US influence in the region and promote a more stable and equitable world order.
Finally, the future of the Russian-Algerian relationship is likely to be shaped by their growing economic cooperation. Russia and Algeria have a strong economic relationship, with Russia providing Algeria with access to important resources and markets, and Algeria providing Russia with access to important resources and markets in the region. This economic cooperation is likely to continue to grow in the future, as both countries seek to expand their trade and investment relationships.
Thus, Russia and Algeria have ten reasons to promote their relationship:
1. Strategic location: Algeria is strategically located by the Mediterranean in North Africa, which makes it an important player in the region.
2. Large population: Algeria has a large population, which makes it a significant market for Russia and a potential source of manpower.
3. Natural resources: Algeria is rich in natural resources, including oil and gas, which are important to Russia’s energy security.
4. Countering US dominance: Russia and Algeria share a common interest in countering US dominance, which makes them natural allies.
5. Promoting stability: Algeria and Russia can work together to promote stability in the Middle East and North Africa, which is characterized by ongoing conflict and instability.
6. Military cooperation: Russia and Algeria have a long history of military cooperation, which provides a strong foundation for their relationship.
7. Economic cooperation: The two countries have a growing economic relationship, with Russia providing Algeria with access to important resources and markets, and Algeria providing Russia with access to important resources and markets in the region.
8. Shared interests in Africa: Russia and Algeria have shared interests in Africa, including the promotion of stability and the development of economic cooperation.
9. Growing multipolar world: As the world becomes increasingly multipolar, the relationship between Russia and Algeria is likely to become even more significant.
10. Strategic significance: Algeria’s strategic location, large population, and rich natural resources make it a valuable partner for Russia in the Mediterranean region, North Africa, and Africa.